In recent years, the pursuit for gender equality has heightened and has become one of the UN’s major goals towards Agenda 2030. The term has however been misunderstood, vulgarized and abused extensively by individuals, communities, civil society and even governments with its application grossly subjective and dependent on which side of the table they find themselves at a given time and place. Not everyone sees gender equality in the same way and even women stand divided on gender equality matters globally.
Gender equality, also known as gender parity, sexual equality or equality of the genders, is the view that both men and women should receive equal treatment and not be discriminated against based on their gender. Women’s empowerment, providing women and girls with equal access to education, healthcare, decent work, and representation in political and economic decision-making is not only a fundamental human right but also beneficial to economies and the society. This though, tends to be misunderstood by some and there is rising demand for extraordinary reforms that are out of place.
Fundamentally, men and women are different not only anatomically but also physiologically and psychologically and hence have different duties in the eyes of Mother Nature. While the man is generally known to be the family provider and protector, the woman’s role has been childbearing and raising kids. The woman plays the most important role in the basic education and survival of a child in the early stages not only in humans but across the animal kingdom.
Much has changed with women trying to get into the pilot seat occupied by the man while trying to hand over her basic duties and responsibilities to the man in return. There is increased tendency for women not to participate in childbearing and would rather adopt a child. Some would have their man carry the pregnancy instead, if had their way. The general trend nowadays is women wanting to select where gender equality applies (in situations that favour them) and where it should not.
The perception of gender equality varies across cultures, communities, societal class and the notion of basic values. Where culture tends to disappear and towards the top of the societal ladder, we find increased demands for extra reforms on Gender equality. On the other hand, women who grow up with a deep sense of culture, moral, family and religious values give a man the father figure he deserves and even contest their peers on the other side of the bridge.
The Gender equality disparity is gaining ground on the African continent in a selective manner. Women want to determine where it should apply. Some women will fight for equality but are not willing to work and support the family; others who work believe it is a man’s duty to pay bills even if she earned a higher wage. In cases of domestic violence when the police is called, despite the man being the victim, he is rather more likely to be taken away by the police.
I met a young man who had been a rape victim in a threesome where he was taken unawares and chained by two young ladies. He described the scene as pathetic,not only because he was not ready but also as he begged with all mercy for them to stop. All in vain. The incident was reported to the nearest police station. Instead of the officers opening up a case, they sent the young man out, scolding him altogether. He has since been traumatized as women cannot get justice for such crimes.
Imagine what the world would be like if humans were like the Black Widow spider. The female by far outsizes the male and is by far more dangerous than the male by virtue of the toxicity of its poison. It is popularly known that the female eats up the male after a mating session. Would life be better that way? Gender Equality has to be harnessed cautiously, customized from one domain to another, not a ‘one size fits all’ approach. It can never be fully balanced.
Some Bible verses on gender
- Wives, submit to your own husbands, as to the Lord. For the husband is the head of the wife even as Christ is the head of the church, his body, and is himself its Savior. Now as the church submits to Christ, so also wives should submit in everything to their husbands. Husbands, love your wives, as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her, that he might sanctify her, having cleansed her by the washing of water with the word Ephesians 5:22-33
- Likewise, husbands, live with your wives in an understanding way, showing honor to the woman as the weaker vessel, since they are heirs with you of the grace of life, so that your prayers may not be hindered 1 Peter 3:7
- To the woman he said, “I will surely multiply your pain in childbearing; in pain you shall bring forth children. Your desire shall be for your husband, and he shall rule over you.” Genesis 3:16
- Then the Lord God said, “It is not good that the man should be alone; I will make him a helper fit for him.” Genesis 2:18
- Husbands, love your wives, and do not be harsh with them. Colossians 3:19